Friday, February 22, 2008

Long time no blog

But i had my reasons...
Didn't really feel like updating my blog for some time, as it seemed i had only sad things to say and i prefer to keep my blog a happy one. Things feel much better now and there's enough fun stuff in my life going on right now i could blog about.















my mum & granny a couple of summers ago

This blog is about the sad stuff though; on december 30th my beloved grandmother passed away. She was 87 and had been ill since september. It was a relief to know she wasn't suffering anymore but it was very sad as well.

Saturday january 5th it was her funeral. A weird and tough day which was made more bearable by the fact that my mother, sisters and me were actively involved in the whole thing.
For a start my sisters and me held a speech, about what kind of granny she was for us... about the sleep-overs during which we were allowed to eat sweet stuff on our bread instead of cheese, about the water fights we used to have in granny's garden with her pots and pans which she gave to us, about how she loved to come along with us when we wanted to ring other people's doorbells at night and then run away, about how she knitted clothes for our dolls and stuffed animals, about how she could burp the whole alphabet, about how she couldn't keep up with all the new stuff anymore but still wanted to know all about certain stuff, about how she sang this lovely christian nursery rhyme to us before we went to sleep when we were little...about all the lovely memories we have of here.

Also we (together with my aunt and uncle) carried her coffin, before and after the ceremony and also on the cemetery. It felt so much better to do it ourselved than to walk behind some men in creepy suits with hats who'd do it otherwise.

The rest of the day sort of went by in a haze, we had lunch with the family and other people that stayed. Then drove the 1 1/2 hours back home and had dinner at my mum's place, we stayed there until late at night, talking about granny and how the funeral had been.

A couple of weird things happened the night my granny died by the way, things that make you wonder.
First i woke up at 5:30 on the 30th, not from a dream, not because i had to use the bathroom, not because of some noise...i just woke up and i remember wondering why. Forty-five minutes later my mobile rings and it's my mum telling me granny died...at 5:30.
Also my mum later told us that when she left the room 5 or 10 minutes after my granny had died and grapped her jacket to go for some fresh air (and a smoke) outside there was a ladybug, one with many spots, on it...you never see ladybugs in winter do you?



















my sis & me with granny back in october

1 comment:

  1. She looked like a wonderful person and you have some fond memories of her, sorry to hear she passed away.

    I think your right about how you think about the things that happened. I once experienced something simalar and a few days later my best friend died.

    xx

    ReplyDelete